(Via Amanda Blain.)
I too grew up in an era when…
- …the only way to properly front-load an NES game was to stuff several slices of Wonder Bread between the cartridge and the upper cabinet.
- …you had to flip the tape over to finish listening to an album, and the term “Walkman” wasn’t merely a part of speech used by children asking their parents what they listened to before MP3s.
- …it was okay to be a guy and to wear skintight pink jeans.
- …HBO’s Feature Presentation intro was more fun than the movie it preceded.
- …texting someone in class meant scribbling a note on a piece of paper and asking the kid sitting next to you to pass it along before the teacher saw.
- …Jay Leno’s hair was more pepper and less salt.
- …children asked for actual dogs for Christmas (and not Nintendogs).
- …you left the TV on overnight during the winter as a cheaper alternative to traditional indoor heating.
- …Phil Collins was the shit.
- …Facebook was just a no-no left behind in one of Mark Zuckerberg’s diapers.
- …Omni Magazine still walked the Earth.
The 80’s are dead. Long live the 80’s.