The Leviathans. They’re supposedly bigger, badder, and older than the demons ever were, though I haven’t heard a peep from them since Crowley threatened to bake them muffins in “Slash Fiction.” Here are my personal suspicions as to why, with Season 7 now past the halfway point, Supernatural’s viewership is receding faster than Jared Padalecki’s hairline:
- Netflix / the Internet (obligatory).
- Dick Roman is lame. I think he runs a corporation somewhere, golfing on weekends.
- Crowley is MIA.
- Bobby is dead.
- Castiel is dead.
- Dean’s Impala is dead.
- Everyone is dead.
- Season 1’s dark, overly-contrasting color scheme has been permanently retired.
- The Winchesters’ grotesque overuse of the FBI disguise. (Isn’t Dean supposed to hate suits?)
- “Time After Time” (another time travel episode?).
- “Plucky Pennywhistle’s Magic Menagerie” (another clown episode?).
- The absence of Sam’s original Dell laptop.
I might’ve included the fact that Sam’s mental “wall” has gone largely untapped since he managed to get it under control with the erotic palm massage trick, but as of episode 15, it looks like the writers have finally gotten around to addressing the issue. Hopefully it’s not too little too late. And hopefully it doesn’t involve anymore clowns or time travel—or clowns that travel through time.