Update 2015: Pay no attention to the crusty old post date in the upper-right corner. I am indeed still taking on formatting work in this, the Year of the Goat.
Professional ebook formatting starting at $25
For those of you using Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) service, or if you’re interested in getting your e-books into Smashwords’ premium catalog, I’d like to offer my assistance as far as manuscript formatting, page design, and conversion is concerned. As a Smashwords / Amazon KDP author myself, I’m quite familiar with the ebook formatting process, and I’d be happy to take your manuscript, format it properly according to Amazon’s KDP guidelines (or those set forth in the Smashwords Style Guide), and produce a spiffy, error-free Word document and / or Kindle file for you that meets all premium distribution requirements. I can also create ePub files, if requested (ie, for Apple’s iBooks, Barnes & Noble’s Nook Press service, or Smashwords Direct), as well as PDF (CreateSpace).
Formats I offer:
- Kindle Mobi (Amazon KDP compliant)
- ePub (Apple, B&N, Google Play, Kobo, Smashwords Direct, etc.)
- Smashwords Word .doc (Premium Catalog guaranteed)
- Print-ready PDF (CreateSpace, Lulu, etc.)
My pricing includes:
- Linked table of contents (all internal document links are verified).
- Appropriate front matter, such as a title and copyright page.
- Appropriate end matter (if applicable), such as an “about the author” page, links to your Web site, etc.
- Cleaning / tidying of your source document, removing odd fonts, random styling inconsistencies, improper indents, tab stops (Smashwords hates tab stops!), tables (converted to images as necessary), text boxes, and various other extraneous bits that tend to disqualify documents from premium catalog inclusion.
- Your choice of block-style or first-line indented paragraph styles.
- Properly formatted chapter headings and page breaks.
- PDF: True interior print layout / pagination / book design.
Not included in my basic pricing: cover design; proofreading, grammar / punctuation, spell-checking, etc. (It should be noted that neither Smashwords nor Amazon will approve a book for premium distribution if it’s got loads of spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors—no matter how awesomely-formatted it may be.) Also, I don’t handle the actual uploading of files to Smashwords, Amazon, Apple, etc. That’s your territory.
Pricing and turnaround:
Pricing for fiction (any genre) or non-fiction starts at $25 per ebook format, $50 for print / PDF layouts. I can have most format jobs done in 1 – 3 days, and I give a discount if asked to convert to multiple e-book formats (ie, for both Smashwords and the Kindle; not applicable to PDF / print layouts). Payment due up front, in USD via PayPal; add 3 – 5 business days to turnaround time if paying by eCheck.
Revisions are done at my hourly rate of $10.00/hr (I’ll confirm with you first). I’ll need your document in Microsoft Word (.doc / .docx), Open Document (.odt), or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
Testimonials can be found in the comments section below.
That’s about it, really. If you’ve got a book you’d like me to format for you, or if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.